Leaf & Yard Waste Pick-Up
For Hopkins' Residential Garbage Customers Only
Yard waste is defined as leaves with twig stems no longer than 4 inches, grass clippings, green pliable vines, and similar garden waste. Request forms include:
Free Yard Waste Pick-Up
Free yard waste pick-up, originally schedule for April 23–May 3, has been postponed and will be rescheduled for a later date yet to be determined.
After the free pick-up window, bags will be collected on Thursdays and must display yard waste stickers, available for purchase at City Hall or Public Works. To schedule a yard waste pick up after May 3, call 952-939-1382 before 2 p.m. on Wednesday.
Yard Waste Pick-Up Guidelines
- Yard waste is collected on Thursdays. Residents must call 952-939-1382 to request yard waste bag pickup by 2 p.m. on Wednesday or submit a request here.
- Every bag must have a yard waste sticker affixed to it, facing the street or alley so it's visible to drivers.
- Stickers are $3 each and may be purchased in person at City Hall or Public Works. To have stickers sent to you in the mail (minimum of 10) you can call 952-939-1382 and the cost will be placed on your utility bill.
- Yard waste must be bagged. Maximum size bag is 55-gallon, weighing no more than 40 pounds. Yard Waste must be bagged in a compostable bag; either paper bags or BPI certified compostable bags.
- Place yard waste at the normal refuse collection site, at least four feet away from your refuse and recycling containers.
- Items not accepted include:
- Animal feces (please clean up after pets before raking your lawn)
- Long twigs
- Stump grindings
- Sod waste
- Shrub clippings
- Woody vines
- No garden products such as melons, pumpkins, squash, potatoes, apples, and tomatoes, should be placed in yard waste bags. Place unused garden products such as these into your regular garbage container.