Leaf & Yard Waste Pick-Up
For Hopkins' Residential Garbage Customers Only
Yard waste is defined as leaves with twig stems no longer than 4 inches, grass clippings, green pliable vines, and similar garden waste. Request forms include:
Free Yard Waste Pick-Up
YARD WASTE will be collected for free on your regular garbage day from April 22 through May 2. You do not need to call to schedule this pickup. Place bagged yard waste at the normal refuse collection site at least four feet away from your refuse and recycling containers.
After May 2, bags will be collected on Thursdays and must display yard waste stickers, available for purchase at City Hall or Public Works. To schedule a yard waste pick up after May 2, call 952-939-1382 before 2 p.m. on Wednesday.
Yard Waste Pick-Up Guidelines
- Yard waste is collected on Thursdays. Residents must call 952-939-1382 to request yard waste bag pickup by 2 p.m. on Wednesday or submit a request here.
- Every bag must have a yard waste sticker affixed to it, facing the street or alley so it's visible to drivers.
- Stickers are $3 each and may be purchased in person at City Hall or Public Works. To have stickers sent to you in the mail (minimum of 10) you can call 952-939-1382 and the cost will be placed on your utility bill.
- Yard waste must be bagged. Maximum size bag is 55-gallon, weighing no more than 40 pounds. Yard Waste must be bagged in a compostable bag; either paper bags or BPI certified compostable plastic bags.
- Place yard waste at the normal refuse collection site, at least four feet away from your refuse and recycling containers.
- Items not accepted include:
- Animal feces (please clean up after pets before raking your lawn)
- Long twigs
- Stump grindings
- Sod waste
- Shrub clippings
- Woody vines
- No garden products such as melons, pumpkins, squash, potatoes, apples, and tomatoes, should be placed in yard waste bags. Place unused garden products such as these into your regular garbage container.