City Budget Process
Participate in the Budget Process
Approving the City’s Annual Budget is one of the most important decisions made by City Council. The 2022 budget will be based on staff recommendations and input received from the community.
The public is invited to attend any or all City Council meetings where the budget is discussed. The City will also provide additional engagement opportunities for residents who wish to participate in the budget process.
The following is a tentative schedule for discussions on important aspects of the City’s Budget.
January - February, 2021
- January 5: City Manager Kick-Off (view presentation (PDF))
- January 12: Community Development (view presentation (PDF))
- January 19: Finance Department (view presentation (PDF))
- February 2: Police Department and Fire Department (view presentation (PDF))
- February 9: Public Works and Recreation (view Public Works presentation (PDF)) (view Recreation presentation (PDF))
- February 16: Community Services and Administration (view presentation (PDF))
March 16, 2021
- March 16: 2020 - 4th Quarter Report (view presentation (PDF))
- Decision on 2022 Infrastructure Projects
- Decision on Burnes Park Debt Service
April 27 and April 29, 2021
Open Book meetings
Hennepin County Assessor's office will host virtual meeting sessions for the purpose of discussing property valuations that will be used for 2022 taxes. Valuation notices will include an insert providing additional information. Taxpayers may also call the assessor at any time to review valuation.
April - July, 2021
- 2020 Audit
- Departments prepare Operating, Equipment (ERP) and Capital (CIP) Budgets
July 13, 2021
Review First Draft 2022 Tax Levy and General Fund Budgets
August 10, 2021
Review Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) and Equipment Replacement Plan (ERP)
August 16, 2021
Budget Engagement Review of 2022 Budget
September 7, 2021
Review 2022 General Budget to prepare for Preliminary Tax Levy
September 21, 2021
Approve Preliminary Tax Levy and General Fund Budget
October 12, 2021
Review Enterprise Fund Budgets and Utility Rates
- Storm Sewer
November 3, 2021
Approve Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), Equipment Replacement Plan (ERP) and Utility Rates
November 9, 2021
Review Special Revenue Budgets
- Chemical Assessment
- Economic Development
- Depot Coffee House
- Hopkins Center for the Arts
- Hopkins Activity Center
November 30 or December 6, 2021 (TBD)
December 7, 2021 and December 14, 2021 (if needed)
Approve Final Budget and Tax Levy
Questions or comments?
Please use this form to submit any general comments or questions about the budget process.